Monday, May 31, 2010

Make your own Bread!!: Introduction


I have spent years working in every kind of place I could get myself into to learn the tricks and then to do my best to learn more on my own perfecting my skill. One of my favourite things is making bread. A skill so many people told me was really hard but honestly once you know the basics and have a good reference its easy, it just takes work and time.

For starters the "Bread Bible" is just that, my bible. Chef Anthony Bourdain of Les Halles mentioned about getting his cook book dirty, get the grease stains on it. Well both books have banged up covers and both have gotten a lot of face time in the kitchen with me. A great reference book will teach you some tricks and logic will carry you the rest of the way as you make your own twist on the recipes.

When I first was taught bread the moral was "treat it like a woman". Be firm, be soft, love it and do not rush and in the end you will be rewarded. Now I take that phrase to heart in my kitchen with everything but it is honestly the best piece of advice when making bread. An there is nothing better then fresh bread out of the oven and some good butter and maybe even a lavender honey.

The next few days I will discuss my favourite breads to eat and of course to make. Remember fresh bread tastes great, is cheap to make and if your wife/husband is on your back its a great way to get some stress out if you are not yet at the "make up" stage.

slainte

No comments:

Post a Comment