Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 2 of Sabbatical


I suppose sabbatical is not the proper term when you are still connecting with the outside world but this is what this trip has been for me. The chance to get out of Niagara to learn and get some break has been what I needed. The weather yesterday was absolutely amazing so I hopped on my bike and decided to get "lost" in Montreal and find out what Montreal is about.




After meeting up with a friend who just moved here we walked up St.Laurent and I happened to walk into the famed Schwartz's charcuterie shop. I was told about this place by a number of people and was taking pictures when I stepped back and saw the name on the top part of the building. If you love seeing your meat aging in a store window then this place is your dream. I will be going today to pick up a number of meats to enjoy while working in the hotel today as well the pastry shop that we visited earlier for a pastry.


When I look at Montreal as a whole I think that it is easy to say that they are a lot more laid back then we are in Ontario. The people I have met are very friendly and are passionate about food and as I experienced later in the day drinking. The pastries and bread at this shop were absolutely amazing and as I didn't have my book with me yesterday I will write down the name later today. The pastry was perfect in every sense, the dough was from a croissant with sliced apples and pastry cream. Crisp on the outside and beautifully tender and flaky on the inside.




I visited 3 restaurants yesterday and will do a separate post on my experiences there as I feel that they have some great ideas and philosophies.




NYK-S Bistro Pub: similar look to the Mansion House with garage style doors and some nooks taht have booths in that looked very cozy. All local beers minus 5 imports and none of the typical Molson or Labatt. Most of the food was made in house though the great venision sausage I had was brought in from a local butcher.




Boucherie Charcuterie: Alimentation Generale: This place is absolute heaven if you are a fan of Charcuterie and France. This place offers much of the Basque classics and its 90% classic charcuterie. I will be going back before I leave.




Garde Manger: If a restaurant had life this place would have a massive ego. Beautiful on the inside with maybe 40 seats there are absolutely no markings what so ever. The only way I found it was I actually saw the chef (Star Chef Chuck Hughes of Chuck's Day OFF). I loved the menu of this place and it was good to see a place that is along the lines of look and feel that I hope to have in my first restaurant.




The plan is to work a lot more today on the business but I am going to enjoy breaking down all my experiences here and what it will translate for Niagara and the moves that AP is going to make in the future.


As far as the new set up for the site (http://www.niagaracatering.ca/) I am still fighting my technically challenged brain to get things moving. I am hoping to be able to complete everything in 2 weeks time.


Slainte










No comments:

Post a Comment