Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Sabatical

It has been 5 years since I have taken any kind of "break" from working. As I write this I am sitting in an awesome "hotel" room in Montreal. I decided that I needed to get away from Niagara for a few days to think, learn and unwind.

I decided yesterday that I was going to spend another day in Montreal so instead of stopping half way I drove right here. For anyone driving in Montreal you should probably park outside as the parking here is pretty much non existent. A minor dent in what has been an awesome time so far.

The brew pub culture here is phenominal and unlike anything I have ever seen in Ontario. I have always said the french understand simplicity and quality, and there is an abundance of it here. My first stop was "Le Cheval Blanc" a 80 year old tavern right around the corner from where I am staying. Everyone was very friendly but even though the tavern itself looked kind of like a cheesy dive the product is the best. Even at the Merch in Niagara I have never had beer on this level and I will be visiting again later today to try more of their beers. My favourite part was their "menu" as it was only 8 items! I had a panini with goats cheese and mushooms on the side was a pickle and kalamata olives. It was perfectly cooked and it was not even the typical bread. Simple ingredients and cost efficent (the whole sandwich was only $5.95).

The music scene is also completely different here. I met a young band with an amazing amount of talent and sound (I picked up a cd to bring back with me). The atmosphere was great and remember this is Monday night and there are 80 people in this place. At this location I had a great local cider that reminded me a lot of Ironwood from Sunnybrooke in NOTL in that you could really taste the apples.

My last and most interesting stop was a hooka bar called Cafe Gitana. This was place was very interesting with this comfortable room right in the back. They had a great cigar collection as well. What struck me about this place was the concept itself of flavoured pucks being smoked as if it were going out to dinner. You walk in and 20 people are smoking these various hookas with 20+ different flavours. I was giving their most popular on recommendation which was "double apple" and to pair it I decided to enjoy a double cognac. The flavour was interesting and really got me thinkin as to how I could work something along these lines for a dinner. I plan on doing some research on this and seeing what can be done.

As I am in Montreal there is a lot of work that has to be done for Artisanal Palate. I will be posting later my 2nd week notes on my tastings with Winemaker Jeff Innes at Palatine Hills, Photos from the ultimate wedding and our cocktail/hors d'oeuves pairing as well as information about our new upcoming site.

Tonight the plan is to go to Garde Manger on recommendation as it is a completely open concept restaurant. This is the kind of place that I am looking to open so I look forward to taking notes. Montreal is also my charcuterie heaven as I am only 2 minutes away from famed Shwartz's and their amazing smoked meat.

Lots to come as I get down to work.

Merci beaucoup mes amis and slainte

ps...sorry about the spelling etc the spellcheck and others do not want to work today

No comments:

Post a Comment