Monday, October 11, 2010

Still Digesting Montreal

I decided 3 weeks ago after being in a real mental and physical rut that I needed to take a step back and really evaluate what I was doing with myself and my company. Many people talk about the hardships of owning a business, however outside of financial insecurity long hours and hard work are what the culinary trade was founded on. The great chefs of past and present became great after years and years of study and practice. Only being 24 I know that I am farther behind my peers but make the best of books, trial and error. After not reading, working out, sleeping or eating properly for 3 months I knew it was time. I had hit a massive road block in what I was trying to get done as every meeting or attempt at a project was like walking through newly poured cement. So I knew a trip to Montreal was just what my brain needed.

Montreal for me has always been the greatest canadian culinary city in my mind. I live an hour away from Toronto but there was something from a cooks perspective about the city that really spoke to me. It was not until my visit last week that I realized we shared one great thing in common, our passion. Our passion to eat, drink and entertain those that walk through our doors whether a restaurant or our home. On the trip I started to write my thoughts, ideas and creations again which I had not done in a long time. There was this sense of freedom again even though I am fully aware of my inability to write, print and spell. So as the Blarney Stone intended for the Irish to have the gift of gab for 5 Days in beautiful Montreal that is what I did. From 9am until 1am the next day I had food in different restaurants and had discussions with patrons, employees and people on the street to get a pulse on what the Montreal culinary scene represents.

What were the lessons that Montreal could teach me in my quest to own my first restaurant?

Leaving Friday afternoon there was a sense of accomplishment but regret as well. Regret that I was coming back to Niagara, a place that I am not yet able to do what I want to do. For me Niagara is one of the truly blessed regions in the world. The fact that 2.5 years ago I couldn't close my right hand or move my arm kept me here instead of the Michelin kitchens around the world gave me time to appreciate it. A 7 month lay-off allowed me to study the area and hone my knowledge in food, wine and spirits. After the 7 months the carpel tunnel was not that bad and it became easier to cook and so was born Artisanal Palate with the goal of "Bringing Passion Back to the Table". I look around Niagara however and I don't see this passion. In a few bright eyes among the masses can I catch a glimpse of it. For having some of the most diverse growing conditions and products available it is amazing that we are still mostly a "chain" restaurant city. The donought capital of the world...........hurray!! From where I was staying the ratio to chain vs privately owned restaurants and cafes was amazingly lower than Niagara. So for me the trip was not only to regain my passion but find ways and concepts that will work here. What concepts can I bring to Niagara that will give us the recognition it deserves. When I ask people outside of this city or people that come to visit we are usually called boring and lack diversity. For me I see a lot of similar restaurants with an unpassionate work force and at times mediocre talent because of it. I have had so many good meals and so many bad ones in this area and it has to stop.

With such a great pool of talented chefs in this area there needs to be a connection. A connection between what the great producers here like Tree and Twig have and "value" restaurants. It has become more and more apparent that everyone is wanting more of a local cuisine but how in tough economic times do we convince everyone of it. Just because we can charge higher prices does it really mean that we have to? Does $0.25 a lbs food cost have to reflect $4.00 on a menu? Great food does not have to be expensive. I have many great lessons from Montreal that I will share. Call it my journal, call it rambles of a horribly grammatical flawed Irishman, what ever you want to call it maybe you might gain some ideas yourself and maybe even bring your own passion to your tables at home.

I hold nothing back as I am not a political man. But an argument or discussion to me on what we can do for Niagara is better then standing around while another McDonald's or Swiss Chalet goes up.

So care to join me?






No comments:

Post a Comment