Friday, January 21, 2011

How to Market Great Product

I know what your thinking.

A Chef writing about Marketing, what could he possibly tell me. I can tell you the most important thing possible when it comes to running a business and that is, GET AN EXPERT!!

At the end of this coming week Artisanal Palate will be 21 months old and the hardest thing is taking great product and getting it out to the public. I was once told by a mentor that it does not matter how good your product is if you can't sell it. So many companies are in existence because of their ability to sell and not necessarily because they have the best product. For an example look at Apple. A company that in many eyes, does not have the greatest products but they can sell you millions in apps and the newest iphone or ipod 2 months after you bought the latest addition. They have the ability to sell by creating excitement and creating a market.

Now look back at Artisanal Palate, a professional catering service. It is hard in my business as a chef to sell my products to clientele, especially in an industry that is deamed as a luxury. It is easy to know you have the best quality, value and/or product, but it is another to make a connection. Your competition often have larger budgets and time on their side. So after being invited to the Niagara Business Group and meeting some influential people in thearea I started working with a few of them. Mark Saxton from Elevated and Chris Sinclair from Brand Boulevard have acted as mentors with priceless information and help. So after spending countless hours working on aspects of business that are not my strength I have realized that working with experts makes a large difference.

In the end I am just a visionary and a great cook, it is working with experts like them that makes running a business fun again. So this coming month Artisanal Palate will be releasing our new marketing strategy and it will all start with the Iron Chef Niagara competition. Proceeds go to charity but for a young chef and business like myself it means a lot more than that to me.

The day I stop learning will be the day I quite.

Slainte everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment